June 07, 2014

The 'S' Power

Since it's National Scoliosis Awareness Month (which has the goal of highlighting the growing need for education, early detection and awareness to the public about scoliosis and its prevalence within the community), I decided to post once a week about famous personalities who lived or live with this. 

But first, What is Scoliosis?, according to the Scoliosis Research Society... 
Everyone’s spine has natural curves. These curves round our shoulders and make our lower back curve slightly inward. But some people have spines that also curve from side to side, and rotate. Unlike poor posture, these curves can’t be corrected simply by learning to stand up straight.

This condition of side-to-side spinal curves is called “scoliosis”. On an x-ray, the spine of a person with scoliosis looks more like an “S” or a “C” than a straight line. These curves can make the person’s shoulders or waist appear uneven. Some of these bones may also be rotated slightly, making one shoulder blade more prominent than the other.

So now knowing about this, I want to be part of this campaign by doing some post about the theme. 

So here's the first. Did you know that the 'IT GIRL' of the moment, Shailene Woodley lived with this?

What she said on interviews... 

“I was like, ‘Some people have crooked teeth, some people have broken fingers, and I’ve got a back that has my initial on it." - Shailene for Popcrush

 "My friends and I named my brace Casey. I took it off to eat, to go on dates, and to shower. It was uncomfortable," the movie star recalls. "But I thought, 'I can complain, or I can embrace it, literally, and move on." - Shailene for InStyle, on E!Online

"One is like kind of a nice curve and the other one is like completely flat. So, I used to look in the mirror and be like, I do not wanna put on a bikini, I don't wanna put on one piece, I don't wanna go on a bathing suit and now I look in the mirror and my curves still aren't pretty but I'm like, you know what, they're gonna be like for the rest of my life. So, even though I still don't like enjoy like having them, I embrace them and I still wear a bathing suit and go out on the beach. So, as long as you take in what you have and instead of focusing on the negative things like my toes are too long, I'm too fat, I'm too skinny, like focus on, yeah, I'm really skinny but I'm grateful I'm skinny because I don't have to cut calories or be grateful if your overweight like, I have curves and that skinny girl doesn't. So, I think it's all about embracing what you have and focusing on that versus focusing on negative things." - Shailene for Seventeen 

I reunited some of my favorite photos from her, I think she can really help us to embrace what we have. It looks like she never had Scoliosis. 









To find out more about Scoliosis you can visit Scoliosis Research Society

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment